Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Finding space...

All our lives, we worry about what the world thinks of us. We spend half our lives trying to impress other people and trying to get recognition in other people's spaces. We forget that we owe it to ourselves to make a name of ourselves. We forget that we have the power to make something of ourselves, that we do not have to be defined by other people's boundaries, standards and spaces.

The other day, I looked around me and realised that the world had become so busy and most of us ran the risk going through life without ever being heard or ever being able to find their own space where they can just be themselves.

I went to the hair dresser's last week and before then, I had never really thought much about how it was so easy for all of us to loose ourselves in this fast-paced world. I just wanted a simple hairstyle, something I could maintain easily because, I am a mum and take my duties very seriously.

As I sat in that chair, waiting for my hair turn, I began to watch people. In the corner, close to the door, there was a lady getting a nails done. She was asking the manicurist to be a bit faster as she  had an appointment with the woman sitting at the next table, where she wanted to get a new set of eyelashes.

Another lady came into the salon and started telling her stylists about a new cream she had discovered. It was so good and had cleared her complexion in less than a week. Suddenly everyone wanted to know where she had bought it, how much it had cost her. There was talk about how beautiful her skin now looked and everyone wanted to grab a tube. She began telling the other women that the best part about this cream was that you could use it for your whole body and that meant you would have even complexion. There was a lot of joy in the salon as people scribbling the name of the cream in their phones and notebooks.

The million dollar question, which I asked myself was why we had become so vain. The answer for me was loud and clear, to impressed other people and to blend in!!! We all wanted to look good for our partners, or to look better than our friends when we went out as well as to piss off an ex-lover who gilted us and left town but who was visiting town for the week.

All these things we were doing, had absolutely nothing to do with our own needs, if they did, none of the people there said anything about it!!! I looked at myself in the mirror after my hair had been done and I asked myself, why I was doing all this and I realised that I was no different from the rest, it was all about the need to impress someone else, or to just blend in because I was too afraid to be different.

Dear reader, I was going to tell you to get out of the box and try to be yourself more. I was going to tell you the importance of just going against the grain if that would help you define yourself. But then I realised that it was not so easy and that often those who have tried it have been called many names, including "crazy, wierd and strange". Names which I have tried to avoid for most of my life. So friend, today, I will tell you this. I will tell you that in the confusion of today's world, try by all means to find your own space to breadth. Try to take time out and define yourself so that if one day you are asked who you really were, you would not ask for a moment to reflect on that question. Today, I will tell you to love yourself enough to be true to you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment